Dextroamphetamine Dosing for NarcolepsyRefer to the following table for the dextroamphetamine dosing for narcolepsy:
Starting Dextroamphetamine Dosage
|6 to 12 years old||
5 mg daily (tablets or extended release capsules)
|12 years and older||10 mg daily (tablets or extended release capsules)|
The dextroamphetamine dosage may be increased slowly (by 10 mg per week) until narcolepsy symptoms improve or dextroamphetamine side effects become bothersome.
General Dextroamphetamine Dosing InformationSome considerations for people taking dextroamphetamine include the following:
- Dextroamphetamine extended release capsules and the first dose of dextroamphetamine tablets should be taken at the same time every morning, first thing after waking up.
- Dextroamphetamine extended release capsules should be taken once a day in the morning. Because the extended release capsules are designed to dissolve slowly over time, they should not be crushed or chewed. It is important to swallow the extended release capsules whole.
- If you do not take your dextroamphetamine as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. If you do not remember until late in the evening, skip the dose. Taking dextroamphetamine late in the evening can cause trouble sleeping at night. Do not take a double dose of dextroamphetamine at one time.
- You may take your dextroamphetamine dosage with or without food.
- For dextroamphetamine to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you take it in a way other than that prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dextroamphetamine or your dextroamphetamine dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking dextroamphetamine without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.