Side Effects of Eszopiclone
Infections, heartburn, and headache are some of the more commonly reported side effects of eszopiclone. Although most people tolerate the medication well, and side effects are generally minor when they do occur, be sure to seek medical attention immediately if you experience any serious problems, such as chest pain, suicidal thoughts, or hallucinations.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with eszopiclone (Lunesta®). However, not everyone who takes the medicine will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the drug well. When side effects do occur, they are generally minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(The side effects of eszopiclone discussed below are not a complete list of side effects reported with this drug. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of possible side effects with you.)
Eszopiclone has been studied extensively in clinical trials, with many people having been evaluated. In these studies, side effects occurring in the group of people taking the drug are always documented and compared to the side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. Based on these studies, the most common eszopiclone side effects include:
- Unpleasant taste -- up to 34 percent
- Headache -- up to 21 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 10 percent
- Infections, such as a urinary tract infection (UTI) -- up to 10 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 7 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 7 percent
- Heartburn or upset stomach -- up to 6 percent
- Pain -- up to 5 percent.
Other eszopiclone side effects (occurring in more than 1 percent of people) include:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Accidental injury
- Decreased libido (sex drive) (see Lunesta Sexual Side Effects)
- Breast enlargement in men
- Painful periods (including menstrual cramps).