When used to treat insomnia, flurazepam dosing guidelines typically call for 30 mg, taken at bedtime. For people who are elderly or who have other medical problems, the recommended dose is 15 mg, taken at bedtime. Your age and other drugs you may be taking are among the factors that can potentially affect flurazepam dosing.
An Introduction to Flurazepam DosingThe dose of flurazepam (Dalmane®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your flurazepam dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Flurazepam Dosing for InsomniaThe recommended dose of flurazepam for treating insomnia in most people is 30 mg, taken at bedtime. For elderly people or people with other medical problems, the recommended dose is lower -- 15 mg, taken at bedtime.
General Information on Flurazepam DosingConsiderations for people taking flurazepam include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth at bedtime.
- Take flurazepam just before going to bed, as it can work rather quickly in some people.
- Flurazepam can be taken with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Flurazepam may cause serious problems if you take it at higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends (see Dalmane Abuse).