Sleep Home > Eszopiclone Dosing
For young or middle-age adults who are treating insomnia with eszopiclone, dosing typically starts at 2 mg daily. This dosage can be increased to 3 mg in those who have trouble staying asleep. For elderly adults who have trouble falling asleep, eszopiclone dosing recommendations generally start at 1 mg; elderly adults who have trouble staying asleep may start with 2 mg.
The dose of eszopiclone (Lunesta®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your eszopiclone dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting eszopiclone dose for most young or middle-age adults with insomnia is eszopiclone 2 mg taken right before bedtime. In some people (especially those with trouble staying asleep), a starting dose of eszopiclone 3 mg right before bedtime may also be appropriate. For people who start at lower doses, the doses can be increased to eszopiclone 3 mg if needed.
For elderly people, the starting eszopiclone dosage depends on what type of insomnia is occurring. For elderly people who have trouble falling asleep, the starting dose is eszopiclone 1 mg right before bedtime, but for elderly people who have trouble staying asleep, the starting dose is higher (eszopiclone 2 mg right before bedtime).
Some considerations for people taking eszopiclone include:
- Your eszopiclone medication should be taken right before you go to bed.
- Your eszopiclone dosage should not be taken with food or right after eating a meal.
- Eszopiclone works very quickly; make sure that you are ready for sleep before taking eszopiclone. Do not take eszopiclone before driving or performing any tasks that require concentration.
- For eszopiclone to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Eszopiclone will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to eszopiclone or your eszopiclone dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking eszopiclone without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.