Sleep Home > Precautions and Warnings With Methylphenidate
An awareness of precautions and warnings with methylphenidate can ensure a safe treatment process. The drug is not suitable for everyone, including those who have certain allergies, glaucoma, or have used an MAOI recently. Taking it for long periods of time or in high doses can lead to addiction and abuse. Other precautions and warnings with methylphenidate include possible side effects, such as increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, and weight loss.
- Heart problems of any kind, including heart disease, congestive heart failure, certain irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), or a recent heart attack
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Mental illness, including bipolar disorder (manic depression) and psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Tourette syndrome
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Glaucoma (a condition of the eye)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.