Sleep Home > Provigil Dosage
The usual recommended dosage of Provigil is 200 mg once daily. This dose should be taken in the morning for people with narcolepsy or sleep apnea. For people with shift work sleep disorder, the dose should be taken about one hour before the start of the work shift. Certain people (such as the elderly) may require a lower dose, usually 100 mg daily.
The dose of Provigil® (modafinil) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dosing unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dosage Recommendations for ProvigilThe usual recommended dosing of Provigil (for any approved use) is 200 mg once daily. For narcolepsy or sleep apnea, this dose should be taken in the morning. For people with shift work sleep disorder, the dose should be taken about one hour before the start of the work shift.
A lower Provigil dose (usually 100 mg a day) may be recommended for elderly people, people with certain medical conditions (such as liver disease), or people who take certain medications (see Provigil Drug Interactions).
Considerations for people taking Provigil include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Provigil with or without food. If the drug seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Provigil will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Provigil, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.