The recommended Nuvigil dosage for treating excessive sleepiness due to narcolepsy or sleep apnea is 150 or 250 mg, taken once daily in the morning. For people with shift work sleep disorder, the recommended dose is 150 mg, taken about one hour before the start of the work shift. For the medication to work properly, Nuvigil dosing guidelines must be followed as prescribed.
The dose of Nuvigil™ (armodafinil) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The particular sleep disorder you have
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Nuvigil Dosage for Narcolepsy and Sleep ApneaThe recommended dose of Nuvigil for promoting wakefulness in people with narcolepsy or obstructive sleep apnea is 150 or 250 mg, taken once daily in the morning.
Nuvigil Dosage for Shift Work Sleep DisorderThe recommended dose of Nuvigil for people with shift work sleep disorder is 150 mg, taken about one hour before the start of your work shift.
Considerations for people taking Nuvigil include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- A lower Nuvigil dose may be recommended for elderly people, people with certain medical conditions (such as liver disease), or people who take certain medications (see Nuvigil Drug Interactions).
- You can take Nuvigil tablets with or without food. If the medicine seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Nuvigil will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Nuvigil dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.