When treating insomnia, most people start with a ProSom dosage of 1 mg at bedtime. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to 2 mg. In order for the drug to work properly, you must take it as prescribed. Serious problems can occur if your ProSom dosage is taken in higher amounts or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends.
ProSom Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of ProSom® (estazolam) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your ProSom dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
ProSom Dosage for InsomniaFor most people, the recommended dose of ProSom when treating insomnia is ProSom 1 mg at bedtime. The recommended starting dose for elderly people, people who are smaller, or people who have other health concerns is a little lower: ProSom 0.5 mg at bedtime. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to ProSom 2 mg at bedtime.
General Information on Dosing With ProSomConsiderations for people taking ProSom include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually at bedtime.
- ProSom can be taken with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. ProSom may cause serious problems if you take it in higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends (see ProSom Abuse).