You can now buy Provigil (modafinil) as a generic. The FDA has assigned the generic Provigil tablets an "AB" rating, which means they are considered equivalent to the brand-name version. The generic version made by Teva is an "authorized generic," which means it is exactly the same as the brand-name drug, except for its name and price.
Generic Provigil: An Overview
Provigil® (modafinil) is a prescription medication used to help people stay awake and alert. In particular, it is approved for use in people with the following sleep disorders:
- Shift work sleep disorder (SWSD), a problem in people who work night shifts or who frequently change between day and night work shifts
- Sleep apnea (known medically as obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome or OSAHS).
Brand-name Provigil is made by Cephalon, Inc. However, the medication is also available in generic form.
Availability of Generic Provigil
Generic Provigil tablets are available in the two following strengths (just like brand-name Provigil):
- Modafinil 100 mg
- Modafinil 200 mg.
Generic Provigil is made by various manufacturers, such as:
- Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
- Par Pharmaceutical Companies, Inc.
Teva's version of modafinil is actually an "authorized generic." This means it is brand-name Provigil that has been repackaged and sold as a generic. Par's version is a true generic. Interestingly, Teva now owns Cephalon, the maker of brand-name Provigil.