You can now buy Provigil (modafinil) as a generic. The FDA has assigned the generic Provigil tablets an "AB" rating, which means they are considered equivalent to the brand-name version. The generic version made by Teva is an "authorized generic," which means it is exactly the same as the brand-name drug, except for its name and price.
Provigil® (modafinil) is a prescription medication used to help people stay awake and alert. In particular, it is approved for use in people with the following sleep disorders:
- Shift work sleep disorder (SWSD), a problem in people who work night shifts or who frequently change between day and night work shifts
- Sleep apnea (known medically as obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome or OSAHS).
Brand-name Provigil is made by Cephalon, Inc. However, the medication is also available in generic form.
Generic Provigil tablets are available in the two following strengths (just like brand-name Provigil):
- Modafinil 100 mg
- Modafinil 200 mg.
Generic Provigil is made by various manufacturers, such as:
- Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
- Par Pharmaceutical Companies, Inc.
Teva's version of modafinil is actually an "authorized generic." This means it is brand-name Provigil that has been repackaged and sold as a generic. Par's version is a true generic. Interestingly, Teva now owns Cephalon, the maker of brand-name Provigil.