Precautions and Warnings With Temazepam
Before starting a new medication, it's important to be familiar with the drug's precautions and warnings. With temazepam, for example, it's important to be aware of the drug's potential to be abused, as well as the danger of taking it while pregnant. Precautions and warnings with temazepam also extend to those with certain allergies, as well as those with liver or kidney disease.
Temazepam: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking temazepam (Restoril®) if you have:
- A history of drug or alcohol abuse (see Alcohol and Restoril)
- Lung problems or breathing problems
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Precautions and Warnings With TemazepamPrecautions and warnings to be aware of prior to taking temazepam include the following:
- Insomnia can be a sign of other medical conditions. Your healthcare provider should make sure that your insomnia is not due to a treatable cause.
- Temazepam is a controlled substance, which means that it has the potential to be abused. There are special rules and regulations for prescribing and dispensing it. Temazepam is generally not recommended for people with a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
- The medication can cause psychological and physical dependence, and is often abused. The risk of abuse and dependence is greater for those taking higher temazepam doses for long periods of time (see Restoril Abuse).
- Temazepam can cause severe drowsiness and difficulty breathing, which may be life threatening. This risk is increased when the drug is combined with alcohol, narcotics, or other medications or substances that cause drowsiness and sedation (see Drug Interactions With Temazepam). You should not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how the medication will affect you.
- Elderly people are more sensitive to the effects of temazepam and should be started with a low dosage. The medication may increase the risk of falling, which is especially dangerous in elderly people (who often have weak or brittle bones).
- Sometimes, people react to temazepam in a way that is opposite of what is usually expected. That is, they may become agitated, aggressive, and restless, and may have difficulty sleeping. Tell your healthcare provider if you experience these effects while taking it.
- Temazepam can be dangerous in people with lung problems or breathing problems. Be sure to discuss any breathing or lung problems with your healthcare provider before taking it.
- Temazepam is a considered a pregnancy Category X medication. This means that it is definitely not safe for use during pregnancy. Do not take the medication if you are pregnant (see Restoril and Pregnancy).
- Temazepam passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to taking the drug (see Restoril and Breastfeeding).