Factors that will affect your dose of temazepam include your age and whether you have other medical conditions. For most people, the recommended dosage when taking the medication for insomnia is 15 mg, taken at bedtime just before trying to go to sleep. This medication is not intended for use beyond seven to ten days, as this may lead to dependence and abuse.
An Introduction to Dosing With TemazepamThe dose of temazepam (Restoril®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Your age.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Temazepam Dosing for InsomniaThe recommended dose of temazepam when treating insomnia is typically 15 mg, taken at bedtime just before trying to go to sleep. For elderly people or people with other medical problems, the recommended dose is lower: 7.5 mg taken at bedtime.
It is important to remember that temazepam is intended only for short-term use. Taking it for longer than seven to ten days is usually considered inappropriate.
General Information on Taking TemazepamConsiderations to keep in mind during treatment with temazepam include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth at bedtime.
- Take your temazepam dosage just before you are ready to fall asleep, as it can work rather quickly.
- You can take temazepam with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Temazepam may cause serious problems if you take it at higher dosages or for a longer period than your healthcare provider recommends (see Restoril Abuse).