For young and middle-age adults who are treating short-term insomnia with zaleplon, dosing generally starts at 10 mg taken right before bedtime. Elderly adults may be started on a lower dosage of 5 mg. For people with liver problems or who are taking cimetidine, the recommended zaleplon dosing is also 5 mg.
Zaleplon Dosage: An Overview
The dose of zaleplon that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your zaleplon dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Dosing With Zaleplon for Insomnia
The recommended dosing for zaleplon varies with age and other situations:
- Young and middle-age adults. The recommended starting dose is zaleplon 10 mg right before bedtime. For people who do not weigh very much, a lower starting dose of zaleplon 5 mg may be enough. If needed, the dosage may be increased to zaleplon 20 mg right before bedtime.
- Elderly adults. The recommended starting dose is zaleplon 5 mg right before bedtime. The maximum dose for elderly people is zaleplon 10 mg right before bedtime.
- Those with liver problems. For people with mild or moderate liver problems, the recommended dose is zaleplon 5 mg. Zaleplon is not recommended for people with severe liver problems, including liver failure or severe cirrhosis.
- Those taking cimetidine (Tagamet®). People taking cimetidine should be started on a lower dose (zaleplon 5 mg) because taking these two medications can increase the level of zaleplon in the blood.