Zolpidem Oral Spray Dosage
The standard recommended dosage of zolpidem oral spray for men is one to two sprays (5 to 10 mg) immediately before bedtime. It is often recommended that women, elderly people, and people with liver disease start with a lower dosage, such as one spray (5 mg), before bedtime.
The dose of zolpidem oral spray (Zolpimist®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the oral spray
- Your sex
- Your age
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
For women, the standard recommended dosage of zolpidem oral spray is 5 mg (one spray) at bedtime. For men, the recommended dosage is 5 to 10 mg (one to two sprays) at bedtime. For elderly people or those with liver disease, the recommended dosage is zolpidem 5 mg (one spray) immediately before bedtime.
Considerations for people taking zolpidem oral spray include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an oral spray. It is sprayed directly into the mouth immediately before bedtime.
- Taking zolpidem oral spray with or immediately after food will make the medication work more slowly.
- Do not use zolpidem oral spray unless you can get a full night of sleep (seven or eight hours).
- When starting a new bottle of zolpidem oral spray (or if you have not used it for 14 days or more), you will need to prime the pump. Do this by pressing the pump five times.
- Aim the spray directly over your tongue (not at the back of the throat, like some medications). The medication is not inhaled, but absorbed from the mouth and digestive tract.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your dose without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your zolpidem oral spray dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. If you have been using zolpidem oral spray for a long time, do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.